It’s that time of year again! Time for all those well meaning but utterly insane resolutions that are probably induced by drinking too much bubby grape juice.
So allow me to provide my list of insane goals…in no particular order….
And most importantly of all….I want remember that sometimes life and all its vagaries interfere with the best laid plans. Most of all, if God wants me someplace else, or He wants me to switch gears at any time during 2017, I want to be quick to obey Him. I don’t want to be so hung up on my goals and schedule that i forget about the One who enables me to do all things.
That nasty little voice that we all have in our heads is now saying something like this: ‘You don’t really mean that! We both know that you’re a prideful, sinful little wretch that won’t give a hoot about what God wants but will go on doing what YOU want to do.…
Another other voice says something like this: ‘I really, DO want to be quick to obey God’s will….but I HAVE to meet these goals….I’m in my mid twenties, life is passing me by, I’ve got to start accomplishing things. God won’t really ask me to give up my goals, will He? What if He does?
Doubtless you are all familiar with these nasty little voices…they like to keep up a running commentary in my head during every moment of consciousness….sometimes even in my sleep.
I would like to make a public announcement to all those voices in my head.
Response to voice number one. ALL RIGHT! I’m a loser, I’m a failure as a human being….that’s no big news. As my pastor would say ‘welcome to the human race’. The point is, I am new in Christ and I am a victor in Him. My Father sees me covered in the blood of Christ…He knows I fail. Only He knows my heart and only He can change it. I ask him daily to do this, so I need to put my trust in Him and move on as best as I can.Response to voice number two. God gave me my writing, my art, my singing voice….He MADE me love these things….why would an engineer tell his design to stop doing what he created it to do? That wouldn’t make sense. No; what My Father wants is for me to NOT LOVE THESE THINGS (or my schedule) MORE THAN HIM. I pray with all my heart that I will keep Jesus first in my life and that my heart will be inclined to Him above all things.
Lastly, when I start to get depressed thinking that I haven’t gotten anything done and never will, I recount to myself all that I got accomplished in 2016.
1. Got online and started a Pinterest, Facebook, Goodreads, Gmail and Goodreads Account.
2. Started a blog.
3. Met some amazing and wonderful friends online.
4. Got to Beta-Read for the first time.
5. Got to go travel and see new things (Tellus Science Museum and Williamsburg, VA to name a few).
6. Got some sewing and quilting projects done (yes, I quilt).
8. Finished first draft of my novel.
9. Participated in NaNoWriMo for the first time.
10. Prepped my novella for publication and shared it with someone OUTSIDE OF MY IMMEDIATE FAMILY MEMBERS. Massive breakthrough, there.
11. Took more singing lessons.
12. Recorded two songs in a professional sound booth.
13. Graduated from the 2nd time with Merit from London Art College, completing my course in cartooning.
14. Participated for the third time in LAC’s art competition….and learned what rejection is all about for the third time.
15. Completed some home decorating projects. i.e. repainting furniture.
16. And most importantly of all….I grew in the Lord. Those dumb voices in my head tell me that I’m still as messed up as I was at the beginning of 2016….but they are wrong…I have grown in my relationship wtih Jesus…some of it I see, and some of the work has been done in secret places. Much of my journey will remain a secret between HIm and me, but suffice it to say….He is amazing, He is good….God Is Love and he has a message for me and for all his children for 2017.
Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and he will establish your plans. Proverbs 16:3
You will make known to me the path of life, you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand. Psalm 16:11
May the beauty of the Lord our God rest upon us; establish the work of our hands for us–yes, establish the work of our hands. Psalm 90:17
Happy New Year everyone!